So the research is done. Now What? I took an afternoon with no students in attendance to plan my first week of Formative Assessment experimentation. Before I explain how this went let me give you a little background.
Formative Assessment is a method of helping students be better thinkers. A teacher should start with detailed solid planning. The plan should include a detailed target telling students what their learning goal is, how to reach it, and where they currently are in relation to reaching it. The plan should be to introduce this goal, model with well thought out questioning, performance of understanding (practice), feedback that feeds forward, and a golden second chance to correct themselves right then and there within the lesson. Sounds great huh?
But as an elementary teacher I teach 8 subjects (word analysis, vocabulary, comprehension, grammar, spelling, writing, math, and social studies or science or art or music) every day. At least I’m supposed to. So as I sat down to do this detailed planning I froze. Am I really supposed to write a learning target with great questions, design/choose a performance of understanding for each one?! Brick Wall!!!
So I decided to focus on one area at a time. I chose Comprehension (a great thinking subject) as my focus. I have to get my feet wet, not necessarily jump into the middle of the ocean right?? So I examined the story and what students are expected to know by the end of the week. I wrote 2 main goals for the students to meet by end of week. Goals that follow this format; “I will be able to explain ____.” And then I asked myself how they would reach those goals, and how they would know they are reaching those goals. To further complicate matters, my curriculum is designed to teach reading strategies, reading skills, and analyzing what a writer does within each weekly story selection. My learning target seems to be getting muddier and muddier rather than clearer. Should I change the goal to focus on strategies only? Skills only? Or the thinking goals I came up with that will help them on the weekly test?
So here is what I decided to do. I hope it works(fingers crossed). With my original 2 goals in mind, I designed sub-goals or sub targets that specifically deal with the strategies and skills for the week including a series of questions for each lesson. Monday’s lesson will focus on my first goal using reading strategies as the tool to reach that goal. The same will happen Tuesday with focus on the second goal. Both days have a short written task to give me evidence of how close students are to reaching the goal. Then we will revisit the two goals and use the comprehension skill of the week to reinforce those goals Wednesday. That is as far as I got. I have a target, a series of questions, and a short performance of understanding planned for each day. I don’t feel like it’s enough. But that took me a few of hours. And I feel that I need clarity and/or distance before slogging any further. Next step, revisit the research and finish next weeks plans.
This is not any easy process. Complicated doesn’t quite describe it. But the end product will be thinking students, who can come up with original ideas and back them up. That will be a sweet day. Trial and error. This is my first try. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s not the whole process of Formative Assessment, but it’s solid bite.